-

12/23/11

Rustic HomeMade Chalkboard

We are the last minute gift making King and Queen!!!

We have been working on this chalkboard for awhile now so it wasn't completely last minute. It took some trial and error. We wanted to make our own chalkboard paint as we had heard about it working well for others.

I did an Internet search and found that there were a couple of different "recipes" out there.

1. Paint and Plaster of Paris

     or

2. Paint and Unsanded Grout (one cup paint and 2 TBSP grout)

We already had paint and unsanded grout on hand so that was our recipe of choice.

We mixed our ingredients well (or so I thought), taped off our surface and started painting.








It was a bit chunky even after all of the mixing and squishing that I had done. I really had nothing to compare it to so I trudged on. 
Maybe it takes an electric mixer to get this concoction to smooth out?

Maybe it will settle down once it has been applied to the surface and dries?

After the first coat dried it was still rough and some of the little chunky areas would "burst" and have a spot of whitish grout showing through.  

Grrrrr. Really? Will this work after all...or will we be down at True Value buying a can of spray chalkboard paint?

My Calm and Collected Partner sanded it down again and we started over. (This man really balances me. You don't even know.)

He put some grout into an empty spice container.  Then he brushed the paint onto the surface, sprinkled the grout over the wet paint, and brushed the surface again. Wallah!

Once we had the chalkboard surface figured out, I stained the "frame" of the chalkboard.  This was done with a small piece of towel that had been saved in our rag bin and some Minwax stain.


Then we added some simple hooks for keys and a bucket to store chalk and an eraser in...or whatever little things need to be stored.  I added the personalization by printing our friends last name and wedding year with my trusty white Pen-Touch paint pen. 

Scott poly'd the frame and we called it good.  This was meant to appear somewhat rustic and home-made.  We don't really want our projects to look "perfect" or appear to be factory machined and finished.  There is something to be said for well-aged, patinae'd, or distressed looking items.  Whether they have achieved that look naturally through age, or by someones hand.  It adds personality and character if you ask me.  :)

Our finished chalkboard was created using only the items we had on hand (including:  unfinished wood cabinet door, black semi-gloss paint, unsanded grout, Minwax wood stain, painters tape, empty spice jar, towel remnant, paintbrush, sandpaper, drill, mini hooks, silver metal bucket, and a metal hanger for back).

Here she is:






And if your last name is Johnson, and you are Treasured Friends of ours, then this is your official unveiling.  Merry Christmas!!!  Come by and get your chalkboard today...we love you!

All Our Love and Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas and Superb 2012!!!

Scott and Sherry




19 comments :

  1. Coming by to let you know that you will be featured at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY on Monday...please feel free to grab my starish featured button for your blog and thank you for coming to party last week.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project. What a gorgeous chalkboard, beautifully created. am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Happy New Year! Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat project Sherry! I love it, and I thank you for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I'm betting the Johnson's will love their new treasure! : ).. I especially love the little pail and hanging hooks. That would be an awesome idea for our keys and to keep track of things. Hmm. You have inspired me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this.. you did a Beautiful job on it.. I would love for you to stop in and share it here http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-3-and-features/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chalkboard looks great! I am sure your friends will love it! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely chalkboard! I love that you and your husband do these crafty projects together! My husband and I just bought a new house and we have lots of projects to do!

    I look forward to following your adventures and learning some new project ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such an awesome project. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I'd love to have you link up if you get a chance at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/12/anything-goes-linky-party_22.html. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good looking project! Im always on the hunt for a nice ol picture in a gorgeous frame just for a job like this:)Thanks,Deidre~ Im now following you:)Stop by sometime! http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous project! It's my first visit and I love your blog - will be visiting often :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out beautifully! I would love for you to link up at our party going on now! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your ingenious frame!!! It's fabulous! So happy to have you link up to the Tuesday To Do Party at The Blackberry Vine!
    Happy New Year!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great! Love the rustic look of the frame, and the fact that you can hang keys and other things on it! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the frame - it looks wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out soooooo well!

    Just the right touches of rustic and polished.

    I love it!

    Would also love for you to stop by for a visit!

    P.S. I'm your newest follower! : )

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you creative thing you. :0 Love this too. Thanks so much for sharing it on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete