-

2/5/12

Wild Horses




“Wild horses I wanna be like you

Throwing caution to the wind

I’ll run free too

Wish I could recklessly love

Like I’m longing too

I wanna run with the wild horses

Run with the wild horses, oh”

Natasha Bedingfield Wild Horses Lyrics

Songwriters:  Wilkins, Wayne/Bedingfield, Natasha/Frampton, Andrew




Maybe you remember when Scott found that ugly old lamp to disassemble and use to make our tripod floor lamp?

You really need to see it if you haven’t already!  GO HERE.


Scott was determined that I needed to go back out to that old junk place and have a look for myself.  He said there were old paintings and frames and all kinds of miscellaneous things, just lying around getting wet and dirty.  It wasn't a tough decision since the new owners have put in a coffee shop out front.  They make the most delicious mochas.  And you all should know by now that I love my coffee and my chocolate...especially together. 

But back to the junk...

We finally went the other day.  I found five or six little things: 



Most of what I found was wooden. Itty bitty shelves and such. 

But this one,
It caught my eye immediately:



A wooden horse head,

A bookend without a mate, 

Just one single one, 

No matching pair, 

But that’s okay.



It was old, and weathered and slightly funky.  Exactly the type of thing I hoped to find that day.



I thought about leaving it like this, but decided it just wasn't exactly right for my space.

Equestrian art and décor seems to be making a prominent appearance in home decorating lately.  And why not?  It is so pretty, and American, and Country Chic.



I've seen plenty of examples in the big design catalogues lately.
Like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware to name a few.


I have always loved horses.  I dreamed of having my own when I was young.  As most girls do.  Don’t tell anybody, but when I was a young girl I used to load my pockets with apples and carrots and sneak out to a nearby field to visit the horses there.  If no one was around, I would lure one of the friendly horses over to me with the treats.  I would get them up against the fence and climb on.  They usually just walked around eating grass, not bothering to acknowledge me.  Sometimes they would take off and I would fall into the field and laugh uncontrollably.  It was exhilarating…and slightly naughty. 

Crazy, I know!


I decided to treat my new friend to a coat or two of high gloss, pure white spray paint. 


BEFORE

AFTER





 I think he's magnificent:


















Of course, you might think it was nice before I painted it.  Oh well, you'll have to go find your own!!!  LOL!


38 comments :

  1. I liked the hand carved wooden look, but I like the glossy white, too! I especially love the huge eyes! Horses have the most wonderful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think it is amazing. I love the detail on it. I also like that you painted it with a high gloss! It makes it look more modern! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, it doesn't even look like the same horse after you painted it. I really do like how it look. Thanks for sharing, I'm now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a score. With a coat of paint it's looking fabulous. My daughter would be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing! Very Kelly Wearstler! Except much less expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find! I love it! Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I just did a post today on a horse sign that I painted. Your newest follower.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came over from TDC! This is amazing! I'm so jealous! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I'm always amazed at what a little white paint can do. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! You have to come over and see the equine bookends I found and painted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would of picked up that horse myself. My BFF is really into horses, has one herself, and teaches riding. I love it painted white, really brings her out, and those eyes are so big and beautiful. Don't horses have the most beautiful eyes. Can't wait to see what you do with your new finds. Thanks for sharing your creative inspirations at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a simple, but awesome change. I love it! (I used to sneak in with my Grandpa's ponies when I was a girl and do the same things, lol! I have my own horses now though and don't have to sneak anymore. Well, unless I want some quiet time away from the hubby and kids, lol!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this...I'm jealous, I need a bookend and yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lookin' GOOD! And how I WISH my hubby would actually WANT me to go to a junk shop!!!! no fair. haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. That horsehead is awesome. I have a pair of owls that I want to get painted up sooner rather than later. Uh huh (smile).

    Bernadette @www.b3hd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a transformation! I would love you to add this and any other posts you want to show off to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love horses too. And like you I dreamt of having my very own horse one day when I was a girl. I still daydream about taking riding lessons. Thank you for sharing this beauty at Show & Tell.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a difference! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great makeover! He's gorgeous.
    Following thru the blog hop! Hope you'll come by.
    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is awesome!!! Nothing like a good dumpster dive item that can be made into something awesome!

    I'm putting this on my FB page!

    Thanks for linking it up!
    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am now following you on Linky.I would love it if you followed me back. I really enjoy meeting new Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy to find your blog through the Linky Blog Hop! I'm a new Linky Follower! Hope you can swing by and visit me at www.dusty-mcrae.blogspot.com if you have a free moment. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it!! Although, being a horse person myself, I'd say that's a mule due to the long, large ears. Or maybe a donkey as the heavy wood, carving and blunted style of mane looks Mexican to me. But, no matter - that's horsey enough! What an incredible find! And how great it looks in the high gloss white! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I looks like it's ceramic...great job! Just stopping by from the Linky Party Hop. I hope you will visit www.laughterandgrace.com and follow back.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greta idea and great find you lucky girl! Thanks for linking up to the party - would love to have you come visit and follow along s I begin my first linky party next Thursday!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is amazing how paint can transform things! Thanks so much for linking up to Kiss & Tell over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like how this turned out! It looks great in the clean white! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share! I posted your link on my FB page today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was in Norwich, UK for work this past week and was able to go antique shopping this morning. Aladdin's Cave (a local store) had a pair of gorgeous white horse head bookends in one of their stalls. I thought it was a funny coincidence to run into yours online tonight. I love the white! Yours looks equally fantastic to the ones I saw in store, with likely a much better price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great find and it looks awesome in white! Love it! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're right - so on trend and I think that white gloss was the PERFECT way to update it. I would have bought it too. :D
    Thanks for sharing on BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  31. AMAZING! This turned out FABULOUS! Saw a white gloss at an antique store yesterday for $139! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine's Day!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love. it. So awesome in white! It's perfect! Thanks for linking up!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm another Linky Hopper! I would love it if you would visit my blog and enter my giveaway while linking up.

    I'm in Portland, too!!

    robin :-)

    http://robinsnestquilting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  35. love it
    I think I would sand it some to look older

    ReplyDelete